Reports to General Manager SEM Asia
Team Size: 40 people
The Director of Technology is responsible for the technical competitiveness of the industry. This position is critical to formulating the technical response to new business opportunities, to support profitable growth and to direct the POL phase’s management to support the strategy growth. The Director of Technology partners with the business leaders in order to develop current markets and establish new ones through management of a robust portfolio of existing and potential offerings. Fifteen plus years direct relevant experience with the ability to interact, present and influence cross functionally and globally both internally and externally with customers. Performs independently and effectively coaches others to achieve results in a matrix environment. Demonstrated ability to influence and present effectively at the VP/GM level.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Research & Development and Technology Team strives to:
- Develop innovative solutions that position as the leading specialty solutions provider for customers.
- Partner internally and externally to innovate new technology and penetrate strategic markets to solve customer problems.
- Create value for customers through value-added services such as tool design and mold flow analysis and optimization of processes and manufacturability.
Manage a team of scientists, engineers, and technicians within the scope given below:
- Product Development
- Plan, direct, and co-ordinate product development functions independently.
- Modify existing formulation without compromising existing properties.
- Formulate compounds to meet customers’ requirements with respect to mechanical properties, electrical properties, flame resistance, UV stability, flow, surface appearance, shrinkage, etc.
- Coordinate with other sites for technology transfers where necessary.
Maintain and protect all formulations developed, as well as all formulations transferred from other sites.
- Coordinate with Process/Product Translation/Production Department for production scale-up.
- Assist the Process/Product Translation/Production Department for process trouble-shooting and process improvements where necessary.
- Understand and select appropriate raw materials including base resin, fillers, flame retardants, stabilizers, lubricants, etc. to achieve the required compound properties and applications.
- Source new raw materials for product development purposes.
- Plan raw material cost saving programs through collaboration with Purchasing, Product, Production and Sales Departments where appropriate.
- Partner effectively with product stewardship and testing requirements.
- Advocate a strong safety and performance culture and attitude within the team.
- Define, approve, and guide R&D projects to drive formulation development of specialty polymer compounds.
- Provide technical leadership through mentoring, training, and coaching to balance short-term product customization and mid-term product development.
- Interact globally to facilitate product translation with technical teams in Europe and Asia.
- Effectively network with other technical and marketing teams to generate and exploit new ideas and opportunities.
- Lead the team to support marketing & sales through development of product and application data, as well as support manufacturing to establish quality and testing conditions for new materials.
- Establish priorities for research and development projects.
- Lead the development of new product platforms to support the industry’s vision.
- Manage Stage and Gate Phased Offering Launch for bringing products from development to commercialization, as well as modifications or design changes in existing product lines.
- Drive globalization of all technology portfolios.
- Provide technical support for International, ARS, Color and Producer Services related services.
- Manage Intellectual Property Portfolio in order to protect development and research.
- Participate in and help drive the development of the marketing strategy.
- Partner with Product Management/Marketing in order to maintain current technology base with highest performance/cost ratio.
In addition to the Competencies required for all jobs, the following qualifications are required for this job:
- PhD - Polymer Engineering or equipment
- More than 10 years experience in Data Management, Strategic Planning, Leadership Experience, Budget Management.
- Solid Technology/R&D experience in Polymer and Patent Development.