Position: Construction Manager
Department: Project Team for New Plant
Report to: Project Director
The Construction Manager is responsible for the coordination and safe execution of all construction activities for a large greenfield capital project for China Operations. This position will work with the chosen construction management (CM) contractor to validate construct-ability in the detailed design, define and hire the owner’s construction organization, supervise/execute construction activities, monitor and report on adherence to construction plans, and ensure all design/scope changes are properly documented/implemented during construction. This position will also closely monitor construction productivity/schedule performance and investigate reasons for less than satisfactory performance.
Defining and communicating the Site Construction Plan (including factoring the impact of other construction activities in the local community) and ensuring all activities align with this plan is a major responsibility of this position. The Construction Manager will initially work in EPCM contractor’s office until the commencement of construction activities.
Background of The Job:
This position has responsibility for developing, organizing, and executing the overall construction of the facility. This position leads a small owner’s construction team and works directly with the construction management contractor to execute the construction plan. The Construction Manager is a member of project team which will drive performance on this important project.
The Construction Manager will also interface with the Project Engineer and Engineering Manager for managing all field activities of the project. The role will also interface with the other members of the project team to ensure a safe, reliable and effective design is accurately installed and any changes during the design process are communicated and implemented during construction.
Works with the local community to ensure impacts from other construction activities in the local area has a limited impact on the productivity of the project construction. This will likely include both neighboring chemical plants with active construction projects and local road improvement projects affecting the routine and construction traffic access to the site.
Institutes best practice in construction, challenges cost, and assures safe activities in a cost driven project environment. Aligns with Global Procurement processes. Responsible for Best Practice initiatives.
The jobholder will hold this position in Shanghai office and must be willing to be relocated to the plant situated approx. 300km outside Shanghai.
- Key Result Areas: Delivery of best-in-class SHE Performance through influencing world class construction management and sub-contractors to deliver leadership across the project. Conducting constructability reviews, evaluating construction methods, and conducting construction site safety reviews are key activities.
- Establish common construction policies and procedures
- Develop the safety culture at site and work safely for incident free operation.
- Communicate to the site personnel and contractors to work in line with SHE KPIs and Targets set by management at all the times.
- Ensure site procedures aligned with company’s guidance.
- Assist, in conjunction with the CM contractor and company/site requirements, in developing criteria for the selection of construction sub-contractors, vendors and supporting contractors.
- Define clear roles and responsibilities and deliverable requirements in terms of both scope and schedule for all construction related activities.
- Establish and lead processes to assure integrity is not compromised during the construction process.
- Provide field construction support to the operations team during preparation for start-up and up to normal operation
- Coordination of Peer Reviews and Peer Assists as required
- All construction activities from ground breaking through unit start-up,
- Exceeding SHE performance targets
- Meeting established budget goals
- Hitting target handover dates
- Achieving facility design integrity
- Equipment receiving and warehousing
- Ensuring accurate equipment and bulks to each advanced work package for construction
- Close out of all construction/material invoicing
- Schedule (overall)
- Quality: rework ratio, leak tight, …
Outcome: Delivery of best-in-class SHE Performance through influencing world class construction management and sub-contractors to deliver leadership across the project.
- This position – and all positions - within the company requires that the incumbent commit to learning, following and practicing Process and Behavioural Safety as applicable to the position. These are posted within each facility. Each employee must also commit to following company’s Life-Saving Rules (LSR) on a daily basis. These rules are posted within each facility.
- Accountable for ensuring that company’s Principles are incorporated in all phases of the design and construction and that the company LSR are enforced on a consistent basis.
Outcome: Ensure no LSR violations by contractors engaged in this project.
- The position is responsible for the overall execution and success of large greenfield/grassroots capital projects. This person has key impact on:
- Developing the execution strategy for the project
- Project planning
- Cost management
- Communicating and tracking progress
- Contractor management of all disciplines
Level of Education & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or construction related fields
- Master’s degree in engineering or construction related fields
- 8-10 years’ experience in major petrochemical construction management
- Experience working in a project environment
- Strong English written and oral communications skills required
- Proficiency in Mandarin strongly preferred
- China experiences preferred
Experience in General
- Knowledge of engineering contracting and project execution contracting/strategy is a key tool for job execution.
- Knowledge of Chinese chemical projects industry including construction and engineering codes and standards
- Must have Capex Stage Gate process experience
- Preference for individual who has managed one or more major capital projects from development through start-up
- Project planning, cost control, job bidding, negotiating and contract execution.
- Knowledge of project budgeting and managing scope change during project execution.
- Management experience including knowledge of plant safety regulations and unit preparation procedures. This ensures that project plans integrate well with operations preparation associated with turnarounds/builds.
- Industry knowledge of chemical plant technical issues including catalyst, metallurgy advances, new equipment options, and safety/accident prevention
- Trained in application of process safety management (PSM) and process hazard analysis, this is essential as this position manages the PSM system and responsible for resolution of safety recommendations for the unit.
- Contractor management and project development skills in combination with unit knowledge. This ensures that money is not wasted by performing engineering on projects that ultimately is not installed due to lack of justification.
- Must be able to climb ladders and stairs
- Walking up to 8 hours a day
- Must be able to work in confined spaces
Competencies, Behavioral Skills
- Position requires strong leadership and influencing skills
- Analytical and mathematical mind, capable of evaluating and solving various complex problems
- Strong communication skills (upward, lateral, and downward in organizations)
- Good understanding of Chinese culture
- Self-motivated with ability to work in multicultural environment
- Strives for world class results
- Track record of delivery in major projects
- Maintains standards and technical competency under constant project design pressure
- Ability to develop and implement strategic technical strategies and standards
- Takes reasonable risks to achieve results
- Leads by making reasonable decisions quickly
- Takes ownership even in ambiguous and uncomfortable situations
- Promotes teamwork throughout the organization
- Is able to motivate others to achieve high level of commitment
- Fully utilizes the capability of others
Valuing and Respecting People
- Proactive team player; is sensitive to the different capabilities of team members
- Is able to recognize conflicts and take necessary actions
- Empathizes with someone else’s perspective
- Is comfortable working with employees from different backgrounds
- Involves and trusts the team in decision-making
Reliability and Responsibility
- Actively works to improve the level of reliability of his/her area of responsibility
- Ensures compliance in his/her area of responsibility
- Is consistent in his/her behavior and acts as a role model
- Focuses on achieving appropriate quality and sustainability of his/her area of responsibility
- Professional project management:
- Clear resource allocation
- Projects with budget and time
Qualified and interested Parties please apply with your CV and latest salary in Word format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, that while Morgan Philips welcomes and appreciates all candidate response, volume of replies allows us to respond to short-listed candidates only. Resumes are collected for recruitment purposes only.