Position: Category Manager
Report to: SHA Market Manager
The Merchandise Manager, Sourcing is responsible for sourcing activities, including developing strategic sourcing strategies for all categories, establishing relationships with suppliers, and working with cross-functional teams.
- Manage the sourcing project and process from receiving the briefing/tender from allies/clients through to FOB delivery;
- Ensure on time project and order delivery; competent in problem solving;
- Understand manufacturing process, constraints and cost structure for all of the category area;
- Analysis of Allies/clients markets in order to make pertinent product offers;
- Play an active “sales” role with category buyers to tap on new project and turnover potential; Promote “common products” to consolidate purchase power with different Allies/clients wherever possible;
- Ensure effective and smooth communication with Allies/clients, including the team assigned; building and maintain good relationship with Allies/clients.
- Being able to prepare professional reports, presentation etc. for the assigned category whenever needed;
- Assist in annual turnover projection and buying budget setting;
- Be responsible for the annual turnover target fixed by company’s Head Quarter;
- Ensure compliance with company’s quality requirements and deliver products with the optimum quality/cost ratio;
- Lead, motivate, coach and supervise the assigned category team (3 to 4 persons) for continuous performance improvement; Coordinate with and leverage the source of paralleled functional teams (quality, PPS, admin. etc) to achieve category target collectively;
- Negotiate commercial conditions with suppliers to improve price competitiveness, payment terms and MOQ.
- Define supplier strategy for the assigned product category to be validated by line manager. Source new suppliers while leverage existing suppliers’ strength. Manage and engage supplier pool for best performance and to maximize volume buying power while mitigating risks.
- Maintain the good deployment of company’s Website content of assigned category and Synertrade online sourcing platform.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Possess in-depth product knowledge across the assigned product category.
- Passion for the category products and good sense on product and market trends.
- Thoroughly prepare for hard negotiations, using analytics.
- Apply necessary technical knowledge and analysis to support negotiation arguments and build negotiation strategy.
- Be able to correctively evaluate supplier potential and constraints; select suppliers and products based on profit/risk analysis in addition to quality/price ratio.
- Capable of monitoring and scoring existing suppliers with systematic approach. Skillful in engaging suppliers, promoting company’s image among suppliers.
- Recruit, retain and motivate members of the category team.
- Communicate effectively and provide the right coaching to the team.
- Set challenging objectives and support the team to achieve them.
- Effectively manage internal and external conflicts.
- Able to work effectively with parallel teams.
- Deliver agreed processes and results.
- Able to make improvement proposal for the organization and work process of the assigned category.
- Proficient English oral and written;
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
- At least 10 years professional experience, of which 6 years as Senior Merchandiser or Category Manager on related product category;
- Good knowledge of European market (France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy especially);
- Preferable experience with leading European retailers or traders; preferable knowing garden products (garden furniture, BBQ, garden hand tools, other garden items).
- An excellent communicator with European buyers and internal team, well organized and highly convincing in making product proposals;
- Independent and autonomy at work to organize project schedule, his/her own workload and those of his/her team members;
- Being able to make pertinent solution proposals to succeed sourcing projects and handle customer claims;
- A good team player and be able to coach his/her team for better performance;
- Resilient and determined at work.
- Willing to travel about 40% of the time;
- Pro-active and determined on product development;
Qualified and interested Parties please apply with your CV and latest salary in Word format to email@example.com.
Please note, that while Morgan Philips welcomes and appreciates all candidate response, volume of replies allows us to respond to short-listed candidates only. Resumes are collected for recruitment purposes only.