Job Title: Civil engineer
Report to: Engineering Manager
Location: Shanghai, Ningbo
- Purpose /Role of the job:
The Civil Engineer provides civil engineering expertise to the project team by providing lead in Project management, Engineering (Basic & Detail), Engineering coordination during procurement, construction and commissioning, with the perspective of civil aspects and with a SHE mindset. He is lead in civil aspects for project from ‘Concept to commissioning, including soil investigation and necessary actions to be taken to improve the stability
- Environment/Context/Complexity of the job:
The Civil Engineer should be a critical thinker and have a sound subject knowledge of mathematics and physics to identify and solve engineering problems. This position must also possess a certain level of creativity in order to present innovative solutions and improvements to technical processes. He must be able to effectively communicate ideas, make recommendations, and negotiate project details with their team and subcontractors.
The jobholder will hold this position in our Shanghai office and must be willing to be relocated to the plant situated approx. 300km outside Shanghai.
- Responsibility/Accountability of the job:
- Key result areas: Manage, design, develop, create and maintain a construction project in a safe, timely and sustainable manner
- Conduct on site investigations and analyze data (maps, reports, tests, drawings and other)
- Carry out technical and feasibility studies and draw up blueprints that satisfy technical specifications
- Assess potential risks, materials and costs
- Provide advice and resolve creatively any emerging problems/deficiencies
- Manage budget and purchase equipment/materials
- Comply with guidelines and regulations including permits, safety etc and deliver technical files and other technical documentation as required
- Developing detailed designs.
- Preparing and implementing project plans.
- Reviewing government regulations and ordinances.
- Making recommendations or presenting alternative solutions to problems.
- Confidently liaising with professional subcontractors.
- Project management duties (e.g. managing budgets, resources, and deadlines; acquiring and compiling quotes, etc.).
Outcome: Ensure best-in-class engineering is integral part of the design and operation of the assets of the project.
- Key result areas: Quality control
- Propose and watch over budget and timelines
- Coordination with other engineering disciplines
- Attendance at project review meetings and meetings with contractors
Outcome: Deliver high-end quality
- This position – and all positions - within the Styrolution organization requires that the incumbent commit to learning, following and practicing 20 Principles of Process and Behavioral Safety as applicable to the position. These are posted within each Styrolution facility. Each employee must also commit to following Life-Saving rules on a daily basis. These rules are posted within each Styrolution facility.
- Accountable for ensuring that 20 Principles are incorporated in all phases of the design and construction and that the company Life-saving rules are enforced on a consistent basis.
Outcome: Ensure no Life-saving rules violations by contractors engaged in this project.
- The position is responsible for the overall execution and success of large greenfield/grassroots capital project. This person has key impact on:
· Developing the execution strategy for the project
· Project planning
· Cost management
· Communicating and tracking progress
- Required profile:
Level of education & Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree in appropriate engineering subject
- Master’s degree in appropriate engineering subject
- Relevant experience of minimum 10 years
- Experience working in a project environment
- Strong English written and oral communications skills required
- Proficiency in Mandarin strongly preferred
- China experience preferred
- Discuss and lay out project specifications.
- Review, approve, or modify product designs.
- Prepare budgets, bids, and contracts.
- Draw Blueprints for Piping Systems
- Develop Preliminary Project Scope
- Participate in Cost Management Meetings
- Assist in Sourcing Construction Materials for Piping Systems
- Participate with decision makers in cost management meetings to ensure the designs reflect the parameters of the project’s budget.
Competencies, Behavioral skills:
- Position requires strong leadership and influencing skills
- Analytical and mathematical mind, capable of evaluating and solving various complex problems
- Strong communication skills (upward, lateral, and downward in organizations)
- Good understanding of Chinese culture
- Self-motivated with ability to work in multicultural environment