Job Title: Mechanical Engineer Rotating
Report to: Engineering Manager
Location: Shanghai, Ningbo
- Purpose/Role of the job:
The Mechanical Engineer Rotating is responsible for the basic engineering review, coordination and execution of mechanical and equipment related engineering and construction of a large greenfield capital project for China Operations. This position will work with the chosen detailed design contractor to finalize mechanical design and develop and review detailed work packages for mechanical equipment, rotating equipment, vendor packages, 3D model and provide direction for the contractor in the design development process. In addition, the Mechanical Engineer Rotating will support the Engineering Manager and Project Director in the development of the construction strategy and schedule for the project including development of QA/QC review plans for key rotating equipment.
- Environment/Context/Complexity of the job:
During the design and construction of the project, this position has responsibility for developing, auditing, and accepting a wide range of mechanical engineering deliverables generated by the project contractor. The Mechanical Engineer Rotating is a member of an INSTY project team which will drive performance on this important project. The Mechanical Engineer Rotating will be accountable for managing the inspection and testing requirements of rotating equipment for the project. The role will also interface with the other members of the INSTY project team to ensure a safe, reliable and effective process and mechanical design of the plant.
This position will also work with existing technology, engineering contractor and project personnel to assure accuracy and efficiency in vendor/equipment selection and helps define and clarify technical requirements and specifications to the procurement team, vendors, and construction personnel. The Mechanical Engineer Rotating will institute best engineering practice, challenges cost, and assures operational reliability in a cost driven project environment. In addition, this position will assure on time and quality services from vendors and engineering contractors by facilitating information exchange and making timely decisions. Aligns Processes with Global Procurement processes. Responsible for Best Practice initiatives.
The Mechanical Engineer Rotating will be responsible for supporting the safe, cost effective, and reliable commissioning, start-up, and routine operation of the ABS plant. This position will help improve site performance by supporting the implementation of value improving projects.
The jobholder will hold this position in our Shanghai office and must be willing to be relocated to the plant situated approx. 300km outside Shanghai.
- Responsibilities/Accountabilities of the job:
- Key Result Areas: Incident free project, Adherence to Styrolution SHE guidelines, Compliance with local regulations. Delivery of best-in-class SHE Performance through influencing world-class engineering and construction contractors to deliver leadership across your work area. Leading, auditing and/or participating in safety reviews and specification reviews will be a key activity.
- Provide technical direction to contractor staff to ensure compliance with philosophies, codes and standards and delivery of the project goals. Develop the safety culture at site and work safely for incident free operation.
- Establish and lead processes to ensure the engineering and design integrity is not compromised during the design, construction execution and commissioning phases.
- Ensure project procedures aligned with Group Guidance Notes (IGGNs).
- Accountable for
- engineering activities from basic engineering to detailed engineering through start-up,
- meeting the target start-up dates
- meeting established budget goals
- facilities engineering design integrity
- managing the inspection and testing requirements of rotating equipment for the project
- SHE performance for the project
- Safety of other Employees, Contractors, Visitors and partners at site
- Following Permit to Work as per the site procedure
- Following Management of Change (MOC) as per the site procedure
- Responsible for
- developing, auditing, and accepting a wide range of mechanical engineering deliverables generated by the project contractor
- Identifying, preparation and participating in Risk Assessment at site as per procedure
- Tracking action items from Risk Assessment to closure
- Work in compliance with all legal regulations.
- Adherence to site licenses and permits.
- Stop work whenever there is an unsafe condition and address the situation directly with the Shift Leader and/or Head of Department.
- Directly intervene with those in your working area not using PPE or not following Styrolution standards and procedures.
- Ensure the respective workplace with fire protection system in order and clean, as per best practices of housekeeping.
Outcome: Zero incident/accidents in the plant with sustainable and safe operation.
- The position is responsible for the overall execution and success of large greenfield capital projects with respect to rotating equipment. This person has key impact on:
- Developing the execution strategy for the project;
- Project planning,
- Cost management,
- Communicating and tracking progress,
Outcome: Project should develop and meet target budget and schedule as agreed in project approval process.
- Required profile:
Level of education & Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Relevant experience of minimum 10 years
- Experience working in a project environment
- Strong English written and oral communications skills required
- Proficiency in Mandarin strongly preferred
- China experience preferred
Experience in general:
- Knowledge of engineering contracting and project execution contracting/strategy is a key tool for job execution.
- Knowledge of Chinese chemical projects industry including construction and engineering codes and standards
- Must have Capex Stage Gate process experience
- Preference for individual who has managed one or more major capital projects from development through start-up
- Has working knowledge of applicable technical codes and standards (ASME, API, NFPA, GB etc.)
- Design of safety systems in line with INSTY standards
- Has solid understanding of large rotating equipment
- Has experience with polymer manufacturing and equipment design and installation. The candidate will preferably have demonstrable experience with centrifuges, major gear pumps, copolymer extrusion, pellet/powder conveying, etc.
- Can demonstrate aptitude in piping specifications and materials of construction
- Design requirements for field equipment relating to chemical plants
- Experience with extrusion, pneumatic conveying a plus
- Industry knowledge of chemical plant technical issues including catalyst, metallurgy advances, new equipment options, and safety/accident prevention
- Trained in application of process safety management (PSM) and process hazard analysis, this is essential as this position manages the PSM system and responsible for resolution of safety recommendations for the unit
- Contractor management and project development skills in combination with unit knowledge. This ensures that money is not wasted by performing engineering on projects that ultimately is not installed due to lack of justification
Competencies, Behavioral skills:
- Position requires strong leadership and influencing skills
- Analytical and mathematical mind, capable of evaluating and solving various complex problems
- Strong communication skills (upward, lateral, and downward in organizations)
- Good understanding of Chinese culture
- Self-motivated with ability to work in multicultural environment